Thursday, September 25, 2014

Why measuring games in a quantitative way is wrong

First, I would like to point out that this is a test for me to write in English, this is because I'm looking to expanding my target group and this would be the easiest way.

Let's get down to the matter. I love writing reviews, they are the main reason for this blog, being able to share my thoughts without being interrupted is great. However, I only bring up certain parts of the game that I think is standing out as either good or bad and my holistic view of the game altogether. Often when reading reviews people tend to scroll down and look at the final score, is it 8+ and therefor worth my bucks? There's even sites such as Metacritic that takes several scores and combines them into one. Madness! Madness I tell you! Why?

The main reason is simple, games are entertainment, they are experiences and they strive to stir your emotions, some games may even succeed. Games are qualitative, and as long as you don't measure the neurotransmitters in your brain while playing I refuse to believe in a quantitative scoring. Let me explain it further.

By having a quantitative scoring we can directly compare games to one and other, we can even compare a game with itself on other platforms. For the sake of it I will continue to use Metacritic for the rest of this post, where Mass Effect 2 is 2 percentage better on Xbox than on PC. While it might be better, cause it's made for console, I can only wonder what those 2 percentage is about. Also, the game is scoring 96 out of 100 on Xbox 360, this is however no guarantee that you will like it, it's not even a 96% chance.

When you only look at the numbers and score of a game, or really anything that is being reviewed, there are a ton of things you have to take into consideration. First, what parts do they emphasize on?  If someone scored Diablo 2 and Diablo 3 whilst emphasizing on the story, there is a large chance that Diablo 3 would do a lot better. Also, is there things that are subject to change? Take new MMORPGs for example, "Other class is bugged and invincible, game sucks" might give you a clue. Only looking on the score might not.
Lastly, you have to know the person that set the score, I know people who think that the best games came in the 80's and that we should copy them for all eternity. I wouldn't even consider a game they give a 100% to be good before I test it myself, I seldom ever do.

To bring it all to perspective, what if you would rate every other experience and emotion in a quantitative way? Expressing ones love for another by saying its 95.3% and that's a new score may not be popular, and why should it?

Bottom line is, let there be numbers where there should be, but don't force them to be where they shouldn't!

No comments:

Post a Comment