Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Project Spark is live, let the creation madness begin

Project Spark, for those who missed it, is a hybrid between a game and a level design tool. You can swap between playing others creations and make your own, and it's fabulous! Oh, and it's also free, with a catch, sort of... Spark is free, and you can play all creations for free and you can create things, and it won't ask you for money. You can however buy in game prop kits, like tundra kit or a castle kit, which most of the times can be bought with in game money received from simply playing, or bought with real money.

I've seen so many wondrous creations in the game that I've decided to endeavour on my own quest of making a beautiful little game. What I end up making is yet to be seen, but I have some really interesting things in mind, I just have to see if I'm able to build my framework work what I have in mind.

So where did this hype come from? I played in the early open beta on Xbox One, and at that point they had terrible problems with optimization. Horrendously long loading screens and lag made me quit during my first creation. Then I saw how long they've come since I last tried, and yesterday I played without lag, on my Surface Pro. Now that's optimization!

"Dirty UI" from Reddit user default159
Yes, optimization is good, but what about creations you might ask? Well the community has already made things from board games, to inventories. The game also supports pretty impressive AI scripting, or Koding as it's called, which lets you create the perfect NPC for your game.

As I mentioned before, you can play this on any Windows 8 device, or you can play it on Xbox One. You will also be able to create on PC and play on Xbox, but I'm not positively sure that they've implemented that just yet. Anyway, I will start creating today, and as soon as I have something to test, I will share it here.

So, head over to ProjectSpark and start creating!

No comments:

Post a Comment